Pregnancy Massage in Stirling is delivered by Lesley McAulay and Linda Buick
Massage during pregnancy can have enormous benefits not only for the mother but also the unborn baby. It emotionally and physiologically supports a woman during a time when her body is undergoing many changes and can help prepare her body for birth.
Pregnancy is a wonderful time for a woman but, with the joys of a new baby’s development, comes many changes to the mother’s body putting pressure of joints, ligaments and organs which can cause discomfort and pain.
There is evidence to support the tremendous benefits of massage in pregnancy. It can help alleviate aches and pains and other common health problems associated with pregnancy. Preparing for the arrival of a new baby brings much excitement but also stress – massage can help to reduce stress levels due to it’s calming effect.
Research also suggests that the baby can benefit from massage as ‘feel good’ endorphins are released by the mother during massage and passed onto the baby.
There are many benefits of massage in pregnancy including:
- stimulates circulation therefore ensuring nutrients are distributed to all vital organs including the placenta
- improves lymphatic drainage – eliminating toxins and helps reduce oedema (swelling)
- releases muscular tension of upper back, shoulders, lower back and hips thus easing the discomfort of sciatica, prolapsed discs and Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
- helps reduce stress and induces deep relaxation
- encourages the release of oxytocin (a pain reducing hormone)
- helps to lower or keep high blood pressure balanced
- helps the mother become more aware of her own body, which can help with the ability to relax during the early stages of labour. This may result in shorter, less painful births with fewer postnatal complications
- Can aid breast feeding success due to increased prolactin and mammary development
We also offer to teach the Birthing Partner some basic massage techniques to help soothe the Mum-to-Be and give relaxation and relief; especially useful towards the later stages of pregnancy!!
Our pregnancy Massage Therapists are : Lesley McAulay and Linda Buick. We offer Pregnancy Massage on Tuesday, Wednesday Thursday, Friday and every second Saturday morning.